Thursday, October 25, 2007

Apple Sauce

Guess what, I have an apple tree in my front yard. Over the past many years this tree has been neglected and has not been shown any love. It's sad, the tree was in pretty bad shape...so it has been a project of mine to take care of it and give it a little love. I've pruned it, I have been getting rid of the fallen apples, I spent time picking off bad apple (the tree has been infested with worms) . I have been working on getting rid of the worms and I want to do it with out sprays and such. Next year we will see how my work pays off. This year I found about 200 good apples (I've thrown away over 400 bad apple) I used the good apple and canned apple sauce.

I find a big shift in our expectations with food, back in the day canning was huge. Think about it, all of our parents were raised canning or at least their parents were raised canning partially because the were apart of the depression era. Then in about the 80's or so canning really decreased...I'm not sure if it was because of the increased use of cocaine., I don't know. Then we expected to find everything we needed at the store for low prices making canning uneconomically for the average person. Unless you grow the food yourself it's a little pricey to can. I'm not sure if the farmers just felt to pressure to produce more and bigger products but they started pumping our food and dairy with hormones, and spraying everything with who knows what. Because of that I think we are a little more hesitant to buy what stores are offering. Thats why I go to farmers markets, to meet the farmer face to face and ask them what they use on their crops. Also I love when I buy food that has been grown locally. That is why I canned applesauce this year, the applesauce has no added sugar and I know the tree has need been sprayed, I know the fruit was picked when it was ripe making it unnecessary to add sugar. Knowing all of this make me happy when I eat the applesauce, which by the way it is delicious!!! If you want to come over for breakfast I will make you some french toast topped with homemade applesauce.

No comments: