Sunday, November 4, 2007

Chai Time

I love Chai tea but since I don't drink caffeinated tea I have given up Chai tea for about 7 years or so...until now. I found a recipe for Chai tea...it was in my Yoga Journal Magazine and this way I can omit the tea. This is what it says; To get toasty on a chilly day, start from the inside out, with warm well-spiced food and drink that stoke your angi, or digestive fire.

To make an angi-enhancing herbal version you can sip all day, follow steps 1 and 2, reheat, and strain, adding extra hot water as necessary. For a rich and heavenly pick-me-up, follow steps 3, 4, and 5 to add the milk, black tea, and sweetener.

1. To make 1 quart of chai, grind in a spice grinder:
1 1/2 t Coriander seeds
3 T fresh cardamom pods

2. Bring to a boil, then let sit overnight:
2 C water
1/3 c ginger finely chopped
1/2 t black peppercorns
the ground cardamom and coriander
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves
1 dash allspice
3/4 t licorice root (optional)

3. Add 3 cups of milk and carefully bring to a low boil, stirring continuously so as not to scorch it.

4. Add 2 or 3 Tablespoons good-quality black tea and simmer for 5 minutes

5. Strain and sweeten to taste with 2 to 3 1/2 Tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or sugar.

Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Oh Eugena... you are an angel. I too have an appreciation for Chai, but stay away from it because of the tea. I am so excited to try this. Thanks for the gluten-free link. I hadn't seen her site before. Hope you guys are enjoying Logan.